Friday 9 August 2013

Series 2 Land Rover Budget Restoration - More from the Series 2 restoration - The Paint Saga 27th July 2013

Hi Everyone

Well, here I am again telling you about how the restoration is going on my Series 2 'Jane-May'. We have had a bit of a dilemma with the paint. I ordered 5ltrs of Brunswick Green paint from an Ebay store last week. Oh what a mistake that was. We paid the money (not that cheap either) £45.00 for the 5ltrs. I have blanked out the name and numbers for this company. Don't want anyone suing me.

Well it arrived, or should I say some paint arrived. It was the wrong colour. I went and checked that I hadn't ordered the wrong colour and what a surprise, I had ordered the right colour. They sent me, how do I describe this paint, mmmmm the most awful colour of green paint.

When I did a search on the web for the colour OMG, the shade was called Amazon Green. Think of the brightest of green parrots and that is the colour that I got. Not a lovely dark green, but a putrid light, yucky green. Or as my son describes it 'Baby Shit Green'. That just says it all.

The best thing for me to do is to show you the colour.


As you can see this is not Brunswick Green. As I was painting the door, I kept telling myself  'It will darken as it dries, oh I hope it darkens as it dries'. It didn't darken as it dried. In fact, I think it got lighter. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

This is what it should be like. I sent him this picture and the one of the door. Showing him that the 2 colours were not the same. So you would think it was cut and dry wouldn't you. No. Read on to find out why.

This is Brunswick Green. The colour that I should have received from the paint supplier. HA

So we rang them, but of course the paint came on a Friday afternoon, so we had to wait until the Monday morning before we could ring them. It took 6 photos, 10 emails and 5 phone calls to get the paint sorted. But it wasn't easy.

He wanted a picture of the paint tin label. So I took this


No, that wasn't what he wanted. He wanted a picture of the tin open. So that he could see the paint. So I took this.



NO, this wasn't what he wanted. He wanted a picture of the paint open showing the lid. So again I took another picture. This one

 
 
Yet again NO, this wasn't what he wanted.

In the meantime, I am getting really angry with this fella. Plus, he said that he had had some customers from my area trying to fiddle him. The cheek of this guy. Just because I have an accent of a certain area, doesn't mean I am fiddling him. So people make me sick. But this is the sort of attitude that you get from people in the South of England.

He kept telling me that if I wanted to tone the colour down, it would be £32.00 for 2.5ltrs of black to tone it down. Oh that made my blood boil. I told him that I was not going to pay for the mistake in mixing he had made. I did ask if he would send me One (1)litre of black to tone it. Oh no, they don't do litre tins. It would have to be 2.5ltrs and he kept insisting that I paid £32.00 for it. I told him this was not going to happen and that he needed to sort it out. So it goes on with more emails and photos

So again, I took another photo. This time he was not going to have to ask for another picture. He would not be able to say that I am trying to do him.

This is the picture I took. You can not mistake this as being the paint that was in the tin he had supplied.


This clearly shows that he paint in the tin is the same and the tin lid and the same as the door. Right!!

Well, yet another phone call and what does he say. OMG at last. He said 'That is not the same colour as the front panel'. I said 'I know its not. But this is what you have sent me. What are you going to do about it'. I told him that I had been on his website and looked at his colour charts. He said, 'oh right, and what do you want'. What do I want. I told him I want the right colour. Oh he said. What colour is that. By this time there was steam coming out of my ears, the dogs, kids and hubby were all staying well out of my way. I basically shouted at him that I wanted Brunswick Green. The colour that I had ordered.

Oh he said. Errrrrrr, I will mix it myself for you now and it will be sent out at the end of the day. He said that I would get it the following day. At last, this stupid man was listening to me. He did say that we could keep the paint that we had and do whatever we wanted with it. What I wanted to do was to go down south and pour the paint on his head. LOL

So I waited for the new paint to arrive. He had told me to open the parcel and check the paint before I signed for it. HAHAHAHA, the courier wouldn't let me do this. So I had to sign for it. Hoping and praying that the paint was right.

I couldn't get it in and opened up quick enough. Low and behold, he sent the right paint. At last, I could start painting the doors that I had already prepared for painting.

So that is the saga on the paint for the Series 2. At least now it is the right colour and painting has started. I will take pictures tomorrow to show you the doors and the bonnet that have been painted. In the right colour. LOL

Bye for now and will see you all tomorrow
Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment