Friday 9 August 2013

Series 2 Land Rover Budget Restoration - And the Weather has been good to the Restoration 29th July 2013

This is day 12 of the restoration and the weather has been good to us again. Yippee

Well, I told you about the door falling after it was painted and that there was a nasty scratch on it. Oh I was so angry that the door had slipped. I was really brave and went out to have a good look at it today, couldn't yesterday as it was raining all day. So here are the photos of the scratches, yes scratches in the door.

 
Couldn't believe how deep this was from just slipping of a seat.

 
This is definitely going to need a touch up lol

 
This isn't as bad as it looks. Just a touch up

 
Full view of the door. My heart sank when I saw it.
 
So, out came the paint again so that I could do the door 'Again'. Oh well, no-one can say I haven't put enough paint on them I guess lol.

The wings, well parts of the wings have been given an undercoat. I thought I would use the awful paint as the undercoat. Well, it uses it up and it is doing a good job as an undercoat. So I was busy painting away when I noticed someone else had been painting too. I laughed so much when I saw her. She was giving me looks like I had totally gone mad. Not far wrong either lol.

This is my little helper. Bless her. She is as bad as me, even when I am not painting anything I get paint on myself.

 Here is the dog modelling a lovely green patch on her head. I thought I had managed to keep them away from the paint. I guess not.

I don't think I can leave the other one out. When I was taking the pictures of everything we had done today, the big lad came and just looked at the paint tin. What does he look like


He looks like he is asking the paint tin to throw the ball for him. Well I never said he was clever lol.

Anyway, back to my 'Jane-May'.

 So painting. I have done a lot of it today. The door grrr is painted again, the parts of the wings that are ready for painting are done. The bonnet (hood for our American friends) is painted.

 
Underside of the bonnet (hood) notice how I have painted the outside of it in the green of the car. I thought I would made sure that every part that should be green is. If you are wondering what the funny brown bits are, that is the garden chair I sat on to paint the bonnet and is one of the chairs that the door slipped off.

Top of picture is top and outer parts of wing for drivers side
Bottom of picture is the outer side of the passenger side wing

This is the top and inner wing for the passenger side. The dog has just been inspecting it lol
 
 
Hubby has been really busy too. He has had to rebuild the near side footwell from scratch. I think he has done a fabulous job of it. But he did do on the off side footwell too. Here is the new near side footwell
 
This is the inside of the footwell. All primed and ready for painting
This has been done so well. I think my hubby has been doing a fantastic job on my car.
This is the front side view of the new footwell. Primed and ready for painting. Hubby had to make the pillar again as it was rotted away in many parts and was not much use to us. So, he had to make this one.
 
 
While he was doing the near side footwell, he found a hole in the bulkhead. When he looked it was the part of the bulkhead where my chassis number plate should be. So he looked at the inside of the car and found that the plate have been stuck to a piece of metal and then stuck over the hole.
 
Obviously, the last owner was not a very good welder, or this would have been done properly. lol  So that is another job for hubby. This is the plate and what it was stuck to. I have taken out my chassis number out as that is my secret lol.
 

They had put holes is so that it could be riveted to the bulkhead, but didn't do it.!!!!!!!!!!! Why not, who knows. At least we will do it properly.

There is still a lot of work that needs to be done on 'Jane-May', but we are getting there. We are well on track for having her finished for the end of August. Now, Now, that is August this year before you all start thinking anything. lol

While I was in the house getting myself a well deserved coffee, hubby had painted the new near side footwell. He is such a good boy and so good to me lol. So here is the footwell painted. Doesn't it look good or what.


This looks so good. You would not think that the pillar had to be made would you. He has really done a fabulous job on rebuilding my 'Jane-May'.

So, as of today we have :-

1. Two new footwells and door pillars.
2. Two doors painted and ready to go on.
3. Top and inner near side wing primed and undercoated.
4. Outer near side wing primed and undercoated.
5. Top and outer off side wing primed and undercoated.
6. Bonnet (hood) primed and painted.
7. Front valance (grill) repaired, primed and painted.

We still have a lot to do yet. This is what is still on our To Do list

1. Remove the rear tub and replace with one that I will be painting. (Why is it that all the painting has been left for me to do. I get more paint on me than I do on the stuff I am painting lol).
2. Seat box needs some TLC in places, painting (again me) seat runner/mounting frame thingy, needs wire brushing and painting.
3. We have to replace all the brake lines around the whole car.
4. New brake cylinders, shoes, adjusters and springs (we might have to replace the drums too!!).
5. Clean and check leaf springs and bushes.
6. Repair a rip in the canvas hood (canvas roof, for anyone that is not sure what I am talking about hehehehe).
7. Wire brush, clean and paint the wheel centres.
8. Fit Door hinges to pillars Not welded on like they were before (will take a photo of the door hinge that was welded on)
9. Check Steering and bearings.

Well I will leave the list at that for now. You get the idea that there is still a lot that we have to do before we even think about booking a MOT (Ministry of Transport Certificate, for road worthiness). So I think I will been doing a few more blog posts for you to see how it is all going.

I do hope I haven't bored any of you. But this car, sorry Historic Vehicle means the world to me, oops us, lol that I really wanted to share the experience with you all.

Right I am off to give my poor aching bones a rest lol. See you all tomorrow for the latest updates and the picture of the welded door hinge lol

Love Debbie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment