Friday 9 August 2013

Series 2 Land Rover Budget Restoration - We are up to day 16 of the Land Rover Series 2 restoration 8th August 2013

I know it has been a couple of days since I updated my blog. But we have been busy and here are the photos to show what we have been doing. We have been really busy and I have not been awake enough to update my blog lol.

Day 13
Here are the parts that were painted in the black paint on day 13

sill and mud shield painted in black (front of sill will be in the Brunswick Green)

Wings have been painted in black underneath than in the green on the top

Bonnet (hood) has had its second coat of black

This has a very technical name, it stops the mud going up the inside of inner wing thing

Front panel of wing painted black on the inside

Bell housing cover underside painted black

Day 14,
We have had the washing line filled with all kinds of parts hanging out to dry. Most people have washing on them, but not me. I have car parts



I had some hooks that are for hanging things up in the kitchen and they came in handy for hanging all the car parts. lol I think this was a good idea myself. These photos are of the front panels of the wings, the outer ends of the sills and the sills.

We had other parts hanging and sitting everywhere we could find a space to hang or put them.


The bottom photo is a part hanging on a flower hanging bracket. I guess we had too much stuff hanging on the line.

Anyway, back to the important parts.

We have all of the front panel finished and both the wings are finished now, yippeeee. They have been assembled and are ready for fitting to the car when the bulkhead and chassis have been finished painting. Oh and when the brake lines have been done too.

But hubby thought it would be a good idea to see how it would all look together. I laughed when I saw what he had done. lol Here is a photo for you to see what he did

Yesterday we did do some work even thou it was later on in the day. I forgot to take photos so hubby had to go out in the dark and take some for me. lol

Day 15
Hubby bought a great tool from a local shop and it has been a godsend to the restoration. It is an electric scraper. It makes short work of the paint (too many layers to mention) on the windscreen. You can see how clean it has got them in these photos.





If he didn't have this tool, it would have taken many hours to get all the layers off. He worked it out, there was a layer of white, a layer of light blue, a layer of dark blue and a layer of Nato green. That was the top colour, but it had faded with time. But his new toy made the job so much easier and only took him 10-15 minutes as to what could have been hours of hard graft.

 
While hubby was bust with his new scraper tool, I had a very childish moment. lol So I did this in the dust that was collecting in the footwell.



How childish am I. It has been a long time since I did anything like this. Hubby told me to make sure that it was cleaned off. Do you think he was trying to tell me something. hhhmmmmmmm

We got the seat box, transmission tunnel, seat box lit, drivers seat mounting frame and the access covers for the drivers side fuel tank access cover and the centre seat access cover of the seat box  painted too yesterday and some of the other little bits that needed painting.

transmission tunnel

seat box

 Seat box lid cover and drivers seat frame

drivers side fuel tank access cover
 

Day 16
Here is what was happening on day 16 of the restoration of my Series 2 Land Rover 'Jane May'. Hubby thought it would be a good idea to see how everything would look together. So this is what he has done, and he calls me childish lol. But I will say that everything looks pretty dammed good. It will look so cool when it is all onto the body of 'Jane May'.


I think this looks really good and it shows how everything is going to go together. Don't you think this was a good idea, I do.

Today the postman brought me some stuff that I am so happy we were able to get. The side lights that go in the front of the front panel of the wings arrived. YIPPPPEEEEEEEEEEE These are not very easy things to get and so many of the Series parts are not being made anymore.

Now the seat box has had it's coat of Brunswich Green and it is looking really good. I even painted the little latch pin for the seat box lid in silver again. The hinges and latch were painted on the seat lid so I had to paint this in silver too.

Not that he is fussy, but he had to replace the screws on the blanking plate.

Doesn't my latch pin look good. Oh it looks good with the new screws too lol
 
 
The transmission tunnel has been painted in its lovely Brunswich Green also and that is ready for when everything is put together.

I have also painted the hinges on the bonnet (hood) and the centre mount for the spare wheel in silver. They will need a second coat, but, this really does make the bonnet (hood) look cool. They really do stand out on now and will look even better after the second coat of silver

This is the bonnet (hood) centre mount for the spare wheel

This shows the hinges and the centre mount for the spare wheel painted in silver

Well that is it so far. I think we have been making great headway on the restoration. Tomorrow we will be getting the replacement rear tub down for cleaning and painting. So we are hoping the weather is going to be good to us. It has been forecast some rain, but we are hoping it will stay away for us.

So I will see you all tomorrow. It is now 12.53am and I think I should go to bed and get some sleep for the big day ahead of me tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment