Saturday 5 October 2013

Day 41 (23rd September 2013) of my Budget Restoration of my Series 2 Land Rover

Day 41

The weather man got it wrong as usual. We were supposed to have sun all day, but we didn't. The good thing was that we didn't have any rain, so Paul could get on with some more painting.

He has finished off the yuk colour on the bulkhead and it just needs to dry so that the Brunswick Green can go on. But I do think it is coming on a treat. What do you think?

 
Front view of the bulkhead

 
Paul working hard painting, don't think he noticed me taking this
 
 
 
Inside of bulkhead, Think Paul has noticed something that needs a touch up

Seeing that colour on a large piece really does show how horrid it is. I am so glad that I chose the Brunswick Green as the colour for 'Jane-May' and I cant wait to have everything painted in it.

Paul also got the rest of the painting done on the axles. I also took photos of the state of the brake drums and shoes. How anyone could think these would stop her, I don't know.

 
This is how all the axles look now. Nice and clean and painted black. Makes it all look so much better

 
Here is one of the brake drums with the brake shoes and calliper. What a mess. Good thing we are replacing it all

 
This gives you a better look at the drums and shoes. The car was previously used off road all the time and everything was rusted

 
Yet another set of shoes and a drum that are in an awful state. What was the guy thinking!!!!!!

 
This is one of the callipers that we have taken off. The seals leaked and had not been fitted properly either.
 
When Paul was taking the drums, shoes and callipers off, he had a hard time doing it. The brakes were that rusty, they wouldn't come off. He had to take a hammer and chisel to them to get them off. I am so glad that everything is being replaced. No wonder the car didn't stop very well. How could someone sell a car knowing that the brakes were not working properly. It was dangerous for me to drive. But he had cleaned all the wheels and axles up before we looked at 'Jane-May' and everything looked like it was all okay. What a shock it was when we saw how bad they all were when Paul took them all off. I would love to have a word with this guy and give him a piece of my mind. The MOT that it did have was not a true MOT for sure. I think he must have had a friend with a MOT Centre and just got hi to write the ticket out for him. Well, at least we are doing everything properly and she will be able to stop, with no problems.

Anyway, as promised the other day, here are some pictures of the other side of the floor plates. When the black was painted, it had come through on the other side. So when the green was painted, the black sort of went, well you will see what I mean.

 
As you can see there is a bit of black that has come through on this side.

 
Makes them look a bit of a mess. But it will look so much better when the other coats of paint have gone on.
 
 
Well that is it for now. We are hoping to get the rest of the painting finished very soon over the next couple of days. We will also be going to get the seals that we need done and finding out how much the exhaust is going to be. We really only need the middle section and the read box of the exhaust, so hopefully it will not be too much. We are hoping it will only be around £40.00 for the 2 sections that we need.
 
Now, I am not sure if it is going to be just the painting that is done, we will have to wait and see. Paul might want to get the brakes done before the painting if finished. The reason I say this is, Paul asked me to get him some petroleum jelly. Hmm, I hear you ask. LOL There are some Swivel Gators that need to have the petroleum jelly on them to fit them. They are made of leather and this will make them waterproof and easier to fit. So that is something that Paul still needs to do. They need to have the jelly soak in. But when he asked me to get some petroleum jelly, well, I didn't know what to think LOL
 
Right that is it for now. I will let you know what we do today and will take more photos to show you how everything is coming on. We are slowly getting closer to being able to book the MOT. That will be a day that I will need you all to keep your fingers crossed.
 
Debbie


No comments:

Post a Comment