Sunday 8 September 2013

Day 32 (29 August 2013) of my Budget Restoration of my Series 2 Land Rover

Day 32

We have all been really busy. Hubby has been cutting out the parts that are just scrap on the drivers (right) side rear of the chassis. The size of the section that has come out looks really big, but he assures me it is okay and he will be replacing it anyway. Well, just look at the photos LOL

This shows how large the section that had to be cut out was

This is a closer view of the section cut out of the chassis

You would not believe how many cutting discs this took to get this section out. Hubby has gone through 14 cutting discs just getting this section out. The ground looks like, well I don't know what with all the dead discs on the floor LOL. There were plates over plates and the welding was a right mess. This is why so much has had to be done on the chassis. We have had to take out all the stuff that was made a mess of. It is a good thing that my hubby is a dam good welder and knows his stuff. But at least this section has been removed and it is ready for the 3mm steel to go in its place. We are replacing all of the sections on the chassis with 3mm steel. Any replacement chassis that you buy is normally made from 2.5mm steel, but we wanted to give it some extra strength.

I have not been sitting around doing nothing LOL. The other side of the screen has been painted. I am not really sure what we are going to do with the washer motors. But I think they might end up being painted in the silver too. I have also been painting the tailgate again. Well, while I had the silver hammerite out, I thought I should use it as much as I could LOL.

This is the other side of the windscreen painted
 

This is the inside of the tailgate and the galvanized strips have been painted silver again
 
There is a strip of galvanized steel that the canvas clips onto and I have also painted that and the corner plates for the tilt bracket in the silver hammerite too.

This is the strip that the canvas clips to

These are the corner plates for the tilt brackets

The tailgate, screen strip and corner plates still need to have a second coat of the silver hammerite, but they are looking like they should do and not like they should be thrown away LOL.

Well, that is it for today and we still have a lot of work to do. Hopefully the chassis will have all the parts welded tomorrow and then it will be ready for painting.

Speak to you all soon.
Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment