Monday 23 September 2013

Day 40 (22nd September 2013) of my Budget Restoration of my Series 2 Land Rover

Day 40

Well again today the weather has been great. A little too hot for my liking, but good for getting more work done to 'Jane-May'.

Paul has been taking everything off of the axles, brakes, drums, callipers, shoes and that so that he could get them painted to look so much more tidier than they do. So he has been really busy doing that. Not everything came off as easily as he had hoped for, but he got there in the end.

I was busy too, while Paul was doing that, I started to paint the bulkhead in the yuk green. We are making sure there is at least 3 coats of paint on everything.

This is how the axles all look now that they have been painted.





As you can see they all look pretty good now. They will look great when all the new brake shoes, callipers and drums are on. Hopefully they will all be going on this week. One thing that we did notice while he was painting, was that there is a couple of holes in the exhaust. So we are going to have to get a complete rear section. Another part that we didn't think we would need. He also noticed that there are some seals that will need to be replaced too. Oh well, 'Jane-May' is worth it. So we will have to have a trip to the local 4x4 parts shop and see how much they want for the exhaust and the seals.

As I said, I started to paint the bulkhead in the yuk colour, but I didn't get very far at all. It was killing me to paint it as there are so many little twists and turns that you have to get into. So Paul will be finishing it off for me. But this is how much I got done.

 
Bulkhead is coming on. Don't you think the bumper looks good in this photo too.

 
I do hate this colour, but it is good to get as much protection as possible on all the metal. So it was good for something at least.

The bulkhead is really coming along now, but I have just noticed that I missed the bottom of the footwell LOL. But in my defence, I was really aching by this time. Paul took the photos and he forgot to take a picture of the inside part of the bulkhead. I have painted a load in there too. He is a silly boy LOL.

So I left the bulkhead for Paul to finish off and painted the tailgate. So that just needs one more coat of the Brunswick Green on the inside and then 2 coats of the Brunswick Green on the outside. Once that is done the tailgate will be finished yippeeeee LOL

 
 
The bins do come in handy for putting stuff on to dry LOL

I also got the floor plates painted, but again Paul forgot to take a picture of the other side of them. I really do need to have a talk him about taking photos LOL.

 
These are the floor plates. They have been painted in the base dark green on the other side. I will have to take a photo to show that. Paul, what are you like!!!!

The petrol tank needed another coat of black, so I did that too. Well, there was no point in putting the black paint away until everything that needed it was done.

 
Now the tank is all lovely and black. Not like it was before at all.

As we were getting on so well with the last bits of painting. Paul said he would take the wire brush adaptor and put it on the angle grinder. This would make light work of cleaning the wheels up for painting. Now the wheels are being painted with white hammerite first (2 coats), then with the cream. That will be the main colour and really makes the wheels look cool. Well, I think it does anyway. You just know there is going to be a but, don't you. Hmm, yes there is a but.

Paul started to clean the first wheel and was getting on really well with it. The wire brush he has for the angle grinder was working really well. Until. Are you ready for it.............................. The grinder kicked back at him. All I heard was an almighty shout from behind me. The grinder had got tangled in his t-shirt and had twisted around it. But not only that, ...........are you ready for this.......................
it had caught him and he had a big, how to describe this!!!!!!!  Well Paul says it is just a scratch, but its not. Anyway, it caught him and I had to clean it up and put a dressing on it. It was pouring with blood. I will say that the cuts (yes cuts) were not deep, but there was a lot of them. He laughingly said, 'That's one for the blog' and I laughed and said 'Oh yes it is', so I took a photo. Don't worry, you will not see any blood. I took a picture of the dressing.



What is he like!!!!!!!  I just cant take him anywhere. If something is going to go wrong or someone get hurt, you can bet it will be Paul that it happens to. Bless him. I did show some concern, well after I had laughed so hard that I couldn't breath, I showed him some concern. He is doing stuff like this all the time. Well, the fact that he set himself alight while welding was proof of that. Anyway, it really wasn't that bad, I just put a dressing on it to keep it clean. You know what it is like the little cuts are the ones that bleed really bad. He said he was more worried about the grinder and his t-shirt than he was about himself. But that is typical of Paul LOL

But I haven't shown you the wheel LOL. I was laughing so hard again telling you are him injuring himself again I forgot. LOL So here is the first wheel.

 
The wheel has had one coat of white. Will need a second coat before the cream can go on.

So that is where we are up to now. Paul has said as long as the weather is good and we (well him) don't have any more accidents, we should be able to have 'Jane-May' ready for the MOT in about 2-3 weeks. Him saying that really did make me happy. I am really looking forward to being able to drive 'Jane-May' again. It has been a couple of years now since I last drove her. Don't you think it is getting exciting now. I do LOL.

Speak to you soon
Debbie

 

No comments:

Post a Comment