Friday 20 September 2013

Saga over my Age Appropriate Registration Number

Well I really cant believe that this has happened. I have sent my Vehicle Registration Documents off to the DVLA asking them to issue an Age Appropriate Registration Number for my lovely 'Jane-May'. With this document I enclosed a Dating Letter from the Heritage Motor Centre, that confirms she was built in 1960. The number plate that we bought her with is for the year 1963 and just doesn't go with her at all. So we paid the £22.70 (with postage) for the Dating Letter to go with the request for a change in the number plate to the DVLA.

When I rang the DVLA to find out what they needed from me, they told me it would take around 3-4 weeks for a new registration number to be sent out to me. So I did my letter asking for the Age Appropriate Registration Number and sent it off with the Dating Letter and my Vehicle Registration Documents. I did this on 29th August 2013. To make sure they were safe and wouldn't get lost in the post, (ha), I sent them recorded delivery. Then it was just sit back and wait for the new Registration number to be sent out to me.

Well, on Thursday 19th September 2013, as it was 3 weeks since I had sent my documents off, I thought I would ring them to find out how it was going. I just wanted to know if I was going to be able to have a new number for my beautiful 'Jane-May'. As you would.

So I rang them.
Me: "Hi, yes I would like to know if a new registration number has been issue for my 1960 Series 2 Land Rover please".
DVLA: "Could I have the old registration number please".
Me: "Yes is it (well I'm not going to tell you what it is LOL)
DVLA: "Thank you, I will check the Database for you, one moment".
Me: "Thank you".
DVLA: "I'm sorry, but I don't show any record of the request on our system. When did you send it and how did you send it?"
Me: "What!!!!!!!!! I sent it Recorded Delivery on 29th August 2013".
DVLA: "Oh!!!! That is 3 weeks ago, it should have showed on our system. It takes 3-4 weeks for us to issue the registration number, but we will put on the system as soon as we get the request that we have received it". I would get in touch with Royal Mail. Do you still have your proof of Postage?"
Me: "Oh My God!!!!!!! Yes I still have the proof of postage. What will happen if someone has got my Documents???????????"
DVLA: "Don't worry, it is on the system now as the document is lost. No-one will be able to do anything. It would not have your signature on it if they tried to say they had bought it off you. If they tried to do anything it is on our system now, so don't worry. Ring Royal Mail and find out what has happened. It may just be waiting to be posted hopefully. But you will have to pay for new documents if it is lost, but check with Royal Mail first"

As you can imagine, I was so angry by now. Not only had I waited 3 weeks for something that was not going to now happen, but I have to pay for new documents to be sent to me so that I can ask for it again. So I rang Royal Mail.

Me: "Hello yes can you check the status of something I posted recorded delivery please."
ROYAL MAIL: "What is the tracking number please"
Me: I am not going to give you that either LOL I am not laughing really, I am crying
ROYAL MAIL: "Oh!!!!!!! erm!!!!!!! Sorry, but that item has been lost."
Me: "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT IS LOST. I SENT IT RECORDED DELIVERY SO THAT IT COULDNT GET LOST. HOW CAN YOU LOOSE SOMETHING THAT IS IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS TO THE DVLA??????????????? I DONT BELIEVE THIS. WHAT KIND OF SERVICE IS THIS??????????? THIS IS REDICULOUS, I CANT BELIVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
ROYAL MAIL: "You can make a claim against us for the lose of the documents and the cost of them"
Me: "Oh well that's good, I don't suppose you wouldn't loose that in the mail either would you!!!!!!!!"

Well, she told me where I could find the form to claim the cost of my documents. Now I have to send that off (like I really trust them to deliver it) and hope that they pay for the cost of the documents. We will have to wait and see what happens with that. The only problem I have is I have been told that they will sometimes give you the claim in stamps and not a cheque or the money. But flipping STAMPS, the total cost to me now is £57.32, what would I do with that much in  flipping stamps.

Well, then I had to ring the DVLA back and pay for the new registration documents. That was £25.00. It should only take about 3-5 working days for them to arrive (that is if they are not lost in the post). So I paid the money, wanting to cry the whole time.

I then had to ring the  Heritage Motor Centre to ask if I could have a copy of the Dating Letter. Now this should have been another £22.70 (with postage), but the guy at the Heritage Motor Centre was fantastic. I think he might have felt sorry for me. He is sending a copy out with no charge. Yes, no charge. I couldn't say thank you enough to him. So a very big Thank you to the guy in the Archives at the Heritage Motor Centre, you really are a good man and I thank you so much. I told him, as a thank you, I would mention their site on my blog and that I would link it to their site so that people could find them and if needed use their services. Again, Thank you very much Heritage Motor Centre.

This now means, when I have the registration documents and then send them off again, this time Special Delivery ( hopefully that will ensure they get delivered??????) it will be another 3-4 weeks for the new registration number to be sent to me. But this time, I am going to keep an eye on them. I will be checking the tracking on the letters in the post and the first sign that something is wrong I will be screaming down the phone at Royal Mail.

This really is totally wrong. When you pay for something to be sent recorded delivery, you expect it to reach the place it is being sent to. I advise everyone to check the tracking of your mail and ring them the first sign that is looking lost. If it stays on 'being processed for more than 1 day, get on the phone.

So now I am just waiting for all the documents to come so that I can send them all to the DVLA and hope and pray that they get there this time. So please, please, be very careful when sending important documents in the post. We tried to see if we could get a courier to take them, ha, they wanted £50.00 to take them. So I am going to have to just send them Special Delivery and pray they get to the DVLA.

Take care everyone and please look after your documents.
Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment